There is a certain satisfaction, not to mention cash savings, that comes from performing your own maintenance on your Harley Davidson Sportster Motorcycle. You don’t need a lot of experience to perform routine maintenance items. Some simple hand tools, a good shop manual and some common sense will have you on your way to handling things that could cost a lot more if done through a dealer. Owning a motorcycle is a personal thing. Keep it in the family by doing our own maintenance.
Things to consider doing yourself:
- Oil Change – One of the simpler and most frequent maintenance items to perform on your motorcycle, performing your own oil change can save you a lot of money over the life of your bike.
- Air Filter – Short of checking the tire pressure, cleaning or replacing the air filter is about as easy as it comes.
- Spark Plugs – If you can change a light bulb, you can likely gap and replace a set of spark plugs.
- Primary Fluid – keeping your gearbox cool and clean is not only easy, it is an essential part of maintaining longevity and performance.
- Primary Chain Adjustment – If you can measure deflection and turn a screw, you can adjust the primary chain on your Harley Davidson.
Still not sure if you’re ready to tackle the maintenance of your Sportster? Find a buddy to walk you through the first couple of times or use a resource like Harley Davidson Maintenance to help walk you through it.